Tuesday, January 15, 2013

A Gusher In My Inbox

Image credit: werner22brigitte

The world never fails to amaze me. I received this e-mail yesterday at this blog's e-mail address:

From: Opec Award <xxxxxxx@notarealaddy.com.invalid>

To: undisclosed-recipients@null, null@null

Subject: Attention: Read Carefully

Date: Jan 14, 2013 2:28 AM

--

Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries

Obere Donaustrasse 93

A-1020 Vienna,

Austria

ATTN:

You have been chosen as one of the LUCKY RECIPIENT of the excess funds generated from petroleum products(Africa,Asia and Pacific region) in the past years. For further information

Email 1: zairahoshiko447@yyyyy.com.invalid

Sincerely,

Zaira Hoshiko

On three large continents, with some of the most poverty-stricken nations on the planet, these folks can't think of anything to do with their "excess funds" but offer them to an Internet persona named after a rabid animal. I bet these folks would fit right in on the Obama Administration's economics team.

Afterword: Since I haven't done on of these in a while, I'll point out that nothing in the e-mail should be taken as real information, even the e-mail address after the "Email 1:". That, as it turns out, was the reply address before I altered it a little. Who knows who is scamming whom here?

No comments: